Manny Cruz Biography and Resume.
Manny Cruz was born in Salem and spent the majority of his K-12 education in the Salem Public Schools. He attended Horace Mann Laboratory School, Collins Middle School, and ultimately graduated from Salem High School. Manny went on to attend Salem State University to study Political Science. Manny became a member of Student Government and immersed himself in the Salem State University Community.
In addition to serving his peers in student government while at Salem State, Manny was appointed to serve as the Essex County representative of the Governor’s Statewide Youth Council (GSYC). The GSYC was created by Governor Deval Patrick in 2007, in response to widespread outbreaks of youth violence. The GSYC worked with the Governor and his staff to address youth related issues in health care, employment, youth violence, and education. Manny was able to build strong relations with his fellow council members, and he was selected by his peers to serve as the GSYC’s chairperson. During his time on the GSYC, Manny led and co-designed a statewide, anti-bullying initiative called Blackout Bullying. Manny also leveraged his time on the GSYC to build deep and meaningful connections with the Salem Public Schools and other youth-serving organizations such as the Boys and Girls Club, and LEAP for Education. Manny aspires to create similar relationships throughout Salem and the Essex County.
At the completion of his sophomore year at Salem State, Manny had been elected by the student body to serve as Student Government President. However, Manny made the difficult decision to leave the Salem State community that he grown so attached to, and decided to transfer to Northeastern University because of his strong desire to participate in their world renowned co-op program.
Manny went onto study under the tutelage of esteemed professors such as Governor Dukakis, and he recently graduated cum laude from Northeastern University. Manny credits experiential learning opportunities for his success in the classroom. By the time Manny graduated from Northeastern he had professional experiences in the National Park Service, took on a co-op in Attorney General Martha Coakley's Office, worked at the Institue for Healthcare Improvement, and served as a Lindsey Fellow for the US District Court under the Honorable Chief Judge Patti Saris
Manny strives to use his Northeastern degree, experiences in public service, network, and the skills that he has acquired to serve the City of Salem, and to give voice to people that are underrepresented. Manny's vision for the Salem Public School's is “a school system in in which all of our young people have the skills and tools they need to successfully transition into adulthood”. This vision was inspired by his mentors, mentees, peers, professors, and family who created the “village” that he needed to transform himself from an at-risk youth to the community leader that he is today. His personal goal is to inspire, train, and support a new generation of servant leaders that lead with empathy and grace.
Manny is a proud alumnus of the Salem Public Schools and Youth Serving Organizations such as LEAP for Education and the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salem. His public school education and experiences at both LEAP for Education and the Boys and Girls Club instilled in him his responsibility to pay it forward to other young people in Salem
Manny has always been an advocate for our young people and across the Commonwealth. His priority is making sure that ALL of our children receive a high-quality 21st-century education that prepares our students for personal, professional, and academic success.
Manny thus far has dedicated his life to public service. Manny and his experiences in non-profit organizations and government have prepared him to be of greater service to the residents of Salem.
- Horace Man Laboratory School
- Collins Middle School
- Salem High School (Class of 2010)
- Salem State University (2010-2012), B.S Political Science
- Northeastern University (2012-2016), B.S Political Science, Concentration Public Policy and Administration, Cum Laude
Manny's Career in Public Service and the Non-Profit sector:
- Office of State Representative Juana Matias, Legislative Aide (Present)
- MA Governor's Statewide Youth Council, Chairman Essex County Representative
- National Park Service at Salem Maritime National Historic Site, Park Ranger, SCIP, Future Leader Program
- MA Attorney General's Office, Executive Bureau
- United States District Court, First Circuit, Lindsay Fellowship
- Insitute for Healthcare Improvement, North America, and Latin America project assistant
- Northeastern Universities Center for Research and Innovation, Commercialization Associate
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salem, Camp Counselor
- LEAP for Education Alumni Council (Founder 2015) Boys and Girls Club Alumni Council (Founder 2014)
- Boys and Girls Club (2013-2015) o
- Mentors League (Summer Basketball), Player Coach (2013-2014) Commissioner (2015)
- Keystone Leadership Club, Adviser
- Boys and Girls Club Champions Dinner, Keynote speaker (2015)
- GoodMenGang (GMG) Greater Leadership Institute (8 weeks, 32 hours)
- Governor's Statewide Youth Council
- Blackout Bullying Rally 2012 (State House)
- Showcasing the documentary 'Bully
- Statewide Youth Council Swearing (2012-2014) swearing in Ceremony Emcee, Speaker
- Stand Up 2012, UMASS Lowell, Host & Keynote Speaker
Awards and Honors
- Northeastern University: Huntington 100
- PAUL M. PRATT AWARD: Northeastern University
- Dean’s List : Northeastern University & Salem State University
- Nominated (2 times) for the Salem State University Civic Engagement Hall of Fame,
- SGA Executive Officer of the year , Salem State, (2011-2012)
- La Comunidad Latina en Acción (LACLA) Full Tuition Scholarship Recipient (2013-2014)
- Phillips Scholarship Recipient (2012-2013)